Prayer is our life-line to the Heavenly Father. Without prayer, we are undone, unfit, broken, and sunk!
Prayer is not going through a religious formula, exercise or ceremony! Prayer is simply talking heart-to-heart with Yahuwah Elohim [the LORD God], as we would talk with a friend. It is telling Him what is on our heart, even to the smallest of details.
Prayer is talking to God about everything. It is a time to reflect on His Word, and take hold of His promises to us.
Prayer is a time for remembering Father’s great love for us, and that “He is on our side!” (Psalms 118:6 and Psalms 124).
Prayer is a time to apply His perspective to our relationship with Him, through His Son, Yahushua Messiah [Jesus Christ], that we are His children, “heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Messiah” (Romans 8:16-17). Prayer is for seeking God’s help, and His guidance and intervention into our hopes and needs.
Praying is much like knocking on Yahuwah’s door. Sometimes He may not answer right away because He waits to see if we are truly serious about what we need. So learning to pray takes honest, unhurried, yet persistent, ‘knocking’ at His door. Learning to pray requires that we cultivate patience with how and when He answers us (Psalms 145:18-19; Matthew 7:7-8,11).
Learning to pray means talking to our loving, heavenly Father ‘without ceasing’ — constantly and tenaciously. It takes a willingness to ‘get personal’ with God, to open up to Him, waiting on Him, and then, fully expecting Him to show us His power and His way for us.
Learning to pray is a very good thing for us to do, as we can see in Psalms 73:28a — “It is good for me to draw near to God!“ Even impartial studies have shown that people who pray frequently tend to be healthier and happier. So let us be encouraged to spend time with Father in prayer, and learn how to pray more effectively.
A Very Present Help
Yahuwah [the LORD] is with us at all times, by His Spirit being present within us! Our talking to Him can be spontaneous, in all situations, because He is available to us at all times!
He is ‘a very present help‘ because of prayer!
Prayer is the instant ‘life-line’ to Him! (Psalms 46:1)
But we also need a regular, secret, prayer time for our growth in maturity. Our secret prayer-closet time is important in helping us maintain a humble heart and for strengthening our resolve to remain faithful. This ‘Quiet-Time’ for prayer and study of Yah’s Word helps us learn Father’s ways, as well as reminds us of the nearness of His Holy Spirit.
Asking Father persistently, to help us to pray (and not give up in asking), is key to our perseverance!
We may want to pray, but even that desire must be accomplished by the ability given to us by Him! So asking Father to help us to pray is necessary. And helping us to pray is one of the Holy Spirit’s gifts to us:
Likewise the [Holy] Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (Romans 8:26)
As we saw in The Holy Spirit: Our Amazing Comforter, and as the verse above teaches us, the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. Often it happens that we do not know how to pray, or what to pray for. But the Holy Spirit helps us by interceding for us according to the will of God (Romans 8:27)!
One way the Holy Spirit prays on our behalf is by the gift of our heavenly prayer language [praying in tongues or praying in the Spirit], as the apostle Paul describes (1Corinthians 14:14-15; Ephesians 6:18). This gift of ‘praying in the Spirit‘ is essential for seeking Father’s will in our lives.
The Holy Spirit knows best what we need to pray for (Romans 8:27)! Therefore, when we pray in the Spirit, we are praying what Father desires for us! When we pray in the Spirit, we are building up ourselves spiritually, as well as building up our faith (1Corinthians 14:14a and Jude 1:20). This is why the apostle Paul could say, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all” (1Corinthians 14:18)!
Since we are weak, earthen vessels, we desperately need the help and the enablement that comes from the Spirit-led prayers on our behalf!
“Oh Thank You Father, for the Holy Spirit and His gifts to me, helping me to pray and draw near to You!”
If you have not yet received your heavenly prayer language, and you would like to receive all that Abba Father has for you, see Have You Received the Holy Spirit Since You Believed?
Quotes and Verses
Often we need reminders to ‘slow down,’ so that we can get our heart and focus back on Abba Father. It is so easy for us to lose sight of His desires for us, and to stray into a self-seeking attitude. To stay ‘on track,’ we must determine to pull ourselves away from the pressures around us, and be still before our loving Father, so we can call out to Him regularly, with expection and anticipation.
Listed below are some random quotes and Scriptures verses that have been helpful to me. These sayings have helped me in remembering to arrange my daily schedule, so that I have time for a private prayer time.
Perhaps you, Dear Thirsty Soul, will find this list to be helpful as well. And may it be, that we will all purpose to seek Yahuwah daily, and not neglect our secret prayer time.
Helpful Prayer Reminders
- Men ought always to pray, and not lose heart!! (Luke 18:1)
- If you desire to pray effectively, you must pray a great deal!! – Charles Finney
- I have become persuaded that the safe way to live is to ‘Pray Things Through’ Before They Happen!! – Derek Prince (Note: to ‘pray things through’ is to talk about a situation in our prayers, thoroughly and repeatedly! It is to bring before the Father everything we can possibly think of regarding the issue, asking Father to cover each concern, each thought presented, with His guidance, direction, and purpose.)
- Prayer is absolutely necessary to a man’s salvation!! – J. C. Ryle
- In the morning, rising up a great while before day, Yahushua [Jesus] went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. (Mark 1:35)
- Blessed are they who attain to genuine, unreserved communication with God! – Francois Fenelon
- One will be astonished at the results obtained in the quiet place of prayer. I have seen the Lord work wonders in answer to prayer offered before Him in the early hours of the morning. – T. M. Anderson
- Give thanks always, for all things, to God the Father, in the Name of our Master Yahushua Messiah! (Ephesians 5:20)
- Time given to prayer will yield more than time given to work. – Andrew Murray
- More things are accomplished by prayer than this world ever imagines! – A. Tennyson
How wonderful is the lovingkindness of Yahuwah Elohim to give us access to Him by simply praying and talking to Him! This is one of His promises to us, as we see in Hebrews 4:16.
Let us then with confidence
draw near to the throne of grace,
that we may receive mercy and find grace
to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)
For a more comprehensive listing of quotes, sayings, and Scriptures, as Prayer Help Reminders, see Prayer Quotes.
- He Inclined His Ear Unto Me
- Seven Prayers and Seven Answers
- Three Tips For Persevering in Prayer
- Those Who Gathered Little Had No Lack
- Joy Cometh In The Morning