A good example of Biblical faith is Moses — a man who learned to walk by faith.
In the book of Hebrews, chapter 11, we find a brief summary of some of the important things that Moses did, by faith:
By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompense of the reward. By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible. (Hebrews 11:24-27)
We learn here the eight actions that demonstrated the faith of Moses, the servant of Yahuwah Elohim [the Hebrew name for LORD God]:
1. He walked by faith [not by sight]
2. He was detached from the world system
3. He chose to suffer affliction
4. He identified with the people of Elohim
5. He endured reproach
6. He was mindful of Yahuwah’s reward
7. He was not moved by the fear of man
8. He endured as seeing Him Who is invisible
These eight actions reveal Moses’ faith. They teach us that it is our actions that are the building blocks of our faith! Each action Moses took was one building block to build up and strengthen his faith. Each action revealed his trust in God!
It is our actions that demonstrate our faith and our trust in Yahuwah.
One quality of faith that seems to be foundational is that Moses endured!
- Moses endured as seeing Him Who is invisible.
Moses knew, by his spiritual understanding, that even though Yahuwah is invisible, Yahuwah is real, alive, and can be trusted!
Moses trusted Yahuwah and thus, Moses was faithful to Yah’s Words!
Moses trusted in Yahuwah’s goodness, love, and mercy! Such things are invisible, and yet we know they are very real! Though Moses could not ‘see’ the invisible God, he held tightly to the trust-worthy WORD of God.
Moses’ faith grew stronger as he maintained his endurance and faithful actions of obedience to Father’s Words. Through the trials, the uncertainty, the afflictions — Moses continued to endure and walk by faith!
In learning how to walk by faith with Yahuwah, it is important that we recognize, focus on, and look to the unseen, invisible, eternal realm. The Bible tells us in 2Corinthians 4:18, that we are to look at the things which are NOT seen. This is what walking by faith is all about. We keep our focus on what is unseen, eternal, outside of time!
With our spiritual eyes of understanding, we must begin to see, and trust in the invisible realm of Yahuwah’s love and goodness, and the exceeding greatness of His power on our behalf, as revealed in His written Word (Ephesians 1:17-19).
Our Walk of Faith
Moses’ walk of obedience to the unseen, invisible Yahuwah Elohim demonstrated his faith!
Little by little, Moses was enabled to make the eight steps of faith, as seen in the above Hebrews 11:24-27 passage.
Though at times, he may not have understood Yah’s plans; at times, the pathway before him looked dark and scary, yet Moses continued to have confidence in Yahuwah’s love and guidance. Moses faith-fully followed and obeyed Yahuwah’s directions. He obeyed God’s WORD, thus obeying God’s will!
For us today, our steps of obedience to the eternal heavenly Father, and His Word, are likewise where our faith is demonstrated, one step at a time:
- But without faith it is impossible to please him [Yahuwah]… (Hebrews 11:6a)
- Now faith is … the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)
- For we walk by faith, and not by sight. (2Corinthians 5:7)
- Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called…. (1Timothy 6:12)
- …Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. (John 20:29b)
As these verses teach us, our faithful actions of obedience to our unseen, invisible heavenly Father is the evidence that we know He exists, and that we trust in Him. Our faithful actions of obedience are the building blocks of our faith
Though Yahuwah is invisible, though we experience trials, difficulties, and failures — though we may not always understand, yet we know in our ‘heart-of-heart’ that He exists! and that He is with us, to strengthen us and guide us through stormy problems.
Because of His lovingkindness and goodness, we earnestly desire to trust Him and obey Him [which is to ‘love’ Him]! There are so many reasons for confidently trusting Him!
- The loving nature and character of Yahuwah Elohim is clearly revealed in His written WORD as One who is just and holy, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth. (Deuteronomy 6:18 and 12:28; Exodus 34:6)
- The loving nature and character of our Saviour, Yahushua Messiah [Jesus Christ], reveals the glory and image of our Father God, Yahuwah Elohim. (2Corinthians 4:6; Colossians 1:15)
- Because Father LOVES us so abundantly, we therefore love Him! and want to please Him! (1John 4:19; 1John 3:22).
By his actions and his words, Moses took the steps to obey the Yahuwah Elohim. The more Moses obeyed, the more his faith was built up and edified! Moses listened carefully to Father’s Words, and spent time learning Father’s heart desires. Moses trusted Yahuwah’s love for him, and for the children of Israel.
One step that was an essential factor to Moses’ endurance, and walk of faith, is — he forsook Egypt (Hebrews 11:27)! Forsaking Egypt is such an important subject that we discussed it at length in A Way That Seems Right: Avoiding the Strong Delusion. [If you have not read that article, I encourage you to read it as it gives us some practical steps to forsaking Egypt.]
Moses made decisions all along the way to the promise land. He made decisions, choices, and spoke words with his mouth, demonstrating his trust in Yahuwah. Moses determined to remain obedient to Yahuwah’s voice and Words. For us today, our choices/decisions are so important!
It is our choices [and our words] that will result in actions that build up our faith, or . . . will result in actions that strengthen our fear.
The choices that Moses made, the actions/the steps he took, revealed Moses’ faith in Yahuwah! Moses’ endurance was steadfast because of his faithful obedience to Father’s Words. Moses was able to remain faithful because he kept his spiritual ‘eyes’ on the One who is invisible!
We too will endure and walk faith-FULLY when, by our actions, we choose to trust Father and faithfully obey Father’s written WORDS — this is walking by faith, not by sight:
For us to mature, we must keep our spiritual eyes on the eternal, unseen realm and completely trust God’s written Word! We must begin to behave and speak according to Yahuwah’s Word. This is walking by faith! This is living for God — by obeying His Word, trusting what He has said!
The more we obey Father’s Words, the more our faith is strengthened, and the more we learn to trust Him and endure. As our faith matures, we find our hearts are more willing to trust Father’s goodness, wisdom, and mercy. We will be eager to step out in faith and trust His ‘everlasting arms’ to hold us close to Him! (Deuteronomy 33:27a)
Even though we can not see Him — even though at times, we fail, are disappointed, frightened, distressed — even though we may not fully understand, and the path before us seems uncertain, even dangerous, we will continue to keep His Word! We will not give up our commitment to live for God!!
It may be risky! We may run into opposition, but we will continue to seek Yahuwah’s strength, continue to seek His help, just as faithful Abraham did (Hebrews 11:8)! We will persevere and maintain our commitment! This is how we learn to endure the trials of our faith!
The Rewards of Faith
Yahuwah has told us in Hebrews 11:6 – He rewards those who have faith — those who
1) believe Yahuwah exists, and
2) those who diligently seek Him.
Father promises: Those who seek Him, shall find Him!
Seeking Yah demonstrates our faith in Him! And the reward of our faith is the blessing, the enrichment of His fullness in our life (Proverbs 10:22).
The Scriptures tell us much of the rewards of Yahushua’s blessings:
- …Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law [Torah] of Yahuwah [the LORD]. (Ps. 119:1)
- …he that keeps the law [Torah], happy [blessed] is he. (Prov. 29:18b)
- And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work [of obedience] shall be. (Rev. 22:12)
- …I am your shield, and your exceeding great reward. (Gen. 15:1)
- …and they that were ready went in WITH Him to the marriage: and the door was shut. (Matt. 25:10)
- …they that are WITH Him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (Rev. 17:14b)
As Believers, our heart’s desire is that we would be found among the faith-FULL!
Let us not become weary, but let us keep our spiritual eyes on the eternal, invisible realm! Let us faith-fully obey the eternal, unchanging, invisible WORD of Yahuwah, trusting Father and His trust-worthy character and love for us!
Yahuwah is worthy of our faithful obedience! He is worthy for us to be walking by faith!
- Please see the companion post: Enduring As Seeing Him Who Is Invisible
- Enduring Our Trials
- Faith Comes – three steps to increasing our faith
- A Very Little – learning faithfulness in the little things
- The Essence of Obedience – a look at the importance of our actions
- Let Us Follow On To Know Yahuwah
- Keys to Biblical Faith
- Faith: According to the Scriptures
- Tales from the Bus: Fog and Faith – a personal experience of ‘walking by faith’ by Pete Rambo
- Do You Know How To Add? If So, You’re On The Road To Perfection – seven attributes to add to your faith