‘Be ye therefore’ is a phrase that provides its own concluding explanation.
“When we find a ‘therefore’ in a sentence, we need to find out what it’s there for” — as Derek Prince would say.
A ‘Be ye’ statement is like a parent speaking to their child, saying, “Hey Sweetheart. Do this.”
Children who love their parents want direction and instruction. And having a therefore in the phrase will give us an immediate explanation.
There are seven ‘Be Ye Therefore’ phrases in the KJV Scripture. These are exhortations for the children of Yahuwah Elohim [the LORD God] — exhortations that contain the concluding reason. The therefore will give the reason for the “Be ye,” or the “Do this” exhortation.
The Plain ‘Be Ye’ Phrases
There are several ‘plain’ “Be ye” exhortations throughout the Scriptures, that do not include a ‘therefore.’
Here are just twelve of them:
1. Be ye glad
2. Be ye valiant
3. Be ye thankful
4. Be ye steadfast
5. Be ye not unwise
6. Be ye not stiffnecked
7. Be ye doers of the Word
8. Be ye kind one to another
9. Be ye of an understanding heart
10. Be ye holy in all manner of behaviour
11. Be ye mindful always of His covenant
12. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers
All these plain Be ye phrases are like ‘House Rules’ for the children of Yahuwah. They are quick little guidelines and standards for how Yahuwah would like His children to behave.
Of course, it is only by His loving grace that we are enabled to follow the ‘House Rules’. But if we love our heavenly Father, then we will seek His enabling grace to obey His Word in these small ways, as well as in the big ways.
As a loving parent, Yahuwah wants His children to know and keep the standards for His household, just like our own earthly parents desire us to honour them with our obedience.
Each one of us have probably heard our parent’s admonition — “Children! Behave!”
A Little Unusual
The following seven Be ye phrases include an immediate therefore. That is interesting. It is a way of looking at them that is a little unusual. To me, these phrases stand out.
That is why I have made a special list of them. These phrases are special because they tell us right away the settling why for the standard.
As most children, we usually have a ‘Why?’ come out of our mouth whenever mom or dad sets a guideline.
So, here are… The Seven ‘Be ye therefore’ Phrases:
1. Be ye therefore … very courageous!
Why? … because … we need courage … to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left. (Joshua 23:6)
2. Be ye therefore … perfect (mature, complete)!
Why? … because … your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)
3. Be ye therefore … wise as serpents, and harmless as doves!
Why? … because … Yahushua [Jesus] is … sending you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. (Matthew 10:16)
4. Be ye therefore … merciful!
Why? … because … your Father also is merciful. (Luke 6:36)
5. Be ye therefore … ready also!
Why? … because … the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. (Luke 12:40)
6. Be ye therefore … followers of Yahuwah Elohim [the LORD God]!
Why? … because … you are His dear children. (Ephesians 5:1)
7. Be ye therefore … sober, and watch unto prayer!
Why? … because … the end of all things is at hand. (1Peter 4:7)
These are all good reminders for us.
The ‘therefore’ gives us the reason for the exhortation.
These are exhortations from our loving and righteous, everlasting Father to walk according to His standards, to keep His House Rules.
He is urging us to . . .
- Be courageous,
- Be mature [perfect],
- Be wise and harmless,
- Be merciful,
- Be ready,
- Be followers of Him,
- Be sober and watchful unto prayer.
Why? Because . . .
- . . . we need to keep the Word of Yahuwah.
- . . . our heavenly Father is mature and perfect.
- . . . Yahushua sends us forth as sheep among wolves.
- . . . our heavenly Father is merciful.
- . . . the return of the Son of man comes at an hour when we think not.
- . . . we are His dear children.
- . . . the end of all things is at hand.
Those who are parents know how important it is for children to behave according to the standards of the household.
Children represent their parents. Therefore parents desire that their children represent them in an honourable way. Yahuwah is the same way.
As a parent, it is a joy and a crown of rejoicing for Yahuwah (1Thessalonians 2:19, 20), when His children are walking in His ways.
It is a great honour and glory for us to have Yahuwah as our Heavenly Father, and to be His obedient, adopted sons and daughters.
With His grace, we can learn and walk according to His righteous guidelines and house rules (Philippians 4:13). When we walk according to His standards, we will therefore be behaving as though we are His sons and daughters!
As His dear children, let us ‘Be ye therefore . . .’ the followers of Yahuwah.
- Eliyah Making Ready A People Prepared For Messiah
- That It May Be Well With You – a special key to our well-being
- Whom Father Loves, He Corrects – recognizing that Yahuwah’s correction is as a loving father
- Thy Torah Is My Delight – a look at King David’s secret
- Therefore My Heart is Glad